Roczen totally dominates MX2 action at British GP

Red Bull Teka KTM factory rider Ken Roczen was in a class of his own on the Matterley Basin circuit near Winchester in the UK to take the British GP with two clear wins from gate drop to checkered flag. Roczen was untouchable in both motos to log his 18th moto win and eighth GP victory for the current season. The German teenager now needs only four points to take the championship title and with the next GP at home in Gaildorf, he will receive a huge ovation from the German fans. After Sunday’s race, KTM has also already secured the MX2 manufacturer’s title for 2011. It would be Roczen’s first career world title in MX2 in his second year with the Red Bull Teka KTM Factory racing.


What was a copybook ride for Roczen was less successful for his teammate Jeffrey Herlings. He finished with a 7-3 result on Sunday but a mistake in the final lap knocked the Dutch teenager from second to third in the moto and bumped him off the third place on the podium. With Herlings, as Roczen’s only rival for the title, sacrificing 24 points to Ken on Sunday now makes his teammate absolute favorite for the title. Jeffrey admitted later that he had some stomach problems and that it had been a disappointing weekend for him.
Jeremy van Horebeck, the third member of the KTM factory team, who was riding with a virus infection this weekend stayed with the front-runners in the first moto but eventually finished sixth. But with drained energy, he finished out of the points in race two. Another unlucky KTM rider in Matterley Basin was Joel Roelants of Belgium who finished third in race one, was also up the front of the field in the first half of race two but dropped back and did not make any points. It was also a good ride for HM Plant KTM UK rider Jake Nichols who finished overall sixth.

Ken Roczen: “In the first race I checked out the lines a bit to see what would be the perfect position for me and I made up some good points on Jeffrey. Then I got the holeshot again in the second race, even though it was hard because the track had started to get rough. But I was able to do it pretty good to finish first again. Now I have a solid gap in the championship standings and it was another great weekend for me.”

Jeffrey Herlings: “The weekend already started bad for me yesterday when I had a crash in the qualifying. I had quite a good start in the first race today but somehow I just didn’t have the speed. The bike was perfect but I was missing a bit of confidence and I just couldn’t catch the others. Then I almost took the holeshot in the second race but right from the start I didn’t feel well. I expected much more from this weekend.”

Jeremy van Horebeek: “My starts were perfect today. I was twice second, which is very good and the bike was awesome. I tried to push right from the beginning in the first heat but I had to slow down because I started to feel pain in my (recently injured) shoulder and I finished sixth. I got away well also in the second moto and I managed to even do a few laps in third and fourth place then I felt no power in my shoulder and decided to pull out because I didn’t want to take any risks.”


EMX 125

It was also a good day for KTM in the EMX125 races with Damon Graulus of Belgium and Dutch rider Brian Bogers on the top steps of the podium. British rider James Dunn had a good day out at Matterley Basin finishing fourth and Brent Van Doninck of Belgium was fifth. Eight of the top 10 finishers were on the Orange machines from Austria. The standings are still in the hands of Suzuki rider Simon e Zecchina of Italy but KTM riders Samuel Bernadini (Italy )and Tim Gajser of Slovenia are at second and third.

MX2 Results

1, Ken Roczen, Germany, KTM
2, Tommy Searle, UK, Kawasaki
3, Gautier Paulin, France, Yamaha
4, Jeffrey Herlings, Netherlands, KTM
5, Arnaud Tonus, Switzerland, Yamaha
Other KTM
6, Jake Nicholls, UK, KTM
9, Jordi Tixier, France, KTM
10, Joel Roelants, Belgium, KTM
13, Nicolas Aubin, France, KTM
14, Jeremy van Horebeek, Belgium, KTM
15, Pascal Rauchenecker, Austrian, KTM
16, Jose Butron, Spain, KTM

MX2 Standings
1, Ken Roczen, Germany, KTM, 590
2, Jeffrey Herlings, Netherlands, KTM, 547
3, Tommy Searle, UK, Kawasaki, 479
4, Gautier Paulin, France, Yamaha, 425
5, Arnaud Tonus, Switzerland, Yamaha 353
Other KTM
9, Nicholas Aubin, France, KTM, 242
10, Joel Roelants, Belgium, KTM, 226
12, Jake Nicholls, UK, KTM, 193
13, Jordi Tixier, France, KTM, 171
14, Jeremy van Horebeek, Belgium, KTM, 133
15, Jose Butron, Spain, KTM, 128

MX2 Manufacturers’ Standings
1, KTM, 639 – wins Manufacturer’s title
2, Kawasaki, 528
3, Yamaha, 487